时间:2026-02-21 13:46:42 来源:网络整理编辑:時尚
The Supreme Court failed to resolve a knotty dispute between faith-based groups and the Obama admini
The Supreme Court failed to resolve a knotty dispute between faith-based groups and the Obama administration over birth control on Monday, the latest indication of the shorthanded court's struggle to find a majority for important cases taken up before Justice Antonin Scalia's death.
SEE ALSO:4 reasons women are stoked to get birth control without seeing a doctorThe justices asked lower courts to take another look at the issue in a search for a compromise, issuing an unsigned, unanimous opinion. The case concerns the administration's arrangement for sparing faith-based groups from having to pay for birth control for women covered under their health plans.
Tweet may have been deleted
"The court expresses no view on the merits of the cases," the justices wrote, ending a major confrontation over President Barack Obama's health care law ended with a whimper and no resolution. The matter almost certainly will not return to the Supreme Court before the 2016 presidential election, and perhaps not until a new justice is confirmed to take Scalia's seat, if at all.
The outcome suggested the court lacked a majority for such a significant ruling, underscoring the effect of Scalia's absence. Already two cases have resulted in 4-4 ties since the conservative's death in February.
The lack of a resolution leaves the government able for now to ensure that women covered by faith-based groups' health plans have access to cost-free contraceptives. But the groups, which include not-for-profit colleges and charities, won't face fines for not adhering to administration procedures for objecting to birth control benefits.
By complying, they argued they would be complicit in making contraceptives available in violation of their religious beliefs as their insurers or insurance administrators would then assume responsibility for providing birth control.
Tweet may have been deleted
The justices appeared evenly divided on the question when they heard arguments in late March. And the court seemed to acknowledge the division shortly after when it ordered the two sides to file a new and unusual round of legal briefs in search of a compromise, perhaps by making contraceptive coverage available without requiring a notice of objection.
Eight appeals courts nationwide have sided with the administration; four of those were challenged in the case before the Supreme Court. One court has ruled for the groups so far.
In 2014, the justices divided 5-4 with Scalia in the majority to allow some "closely held" businesses with religious objections to refuse to pay for contraceptives. That case involved the Hobby Lobby chain of craft stores and other companies that said their rights were being violated under the 1993 Religious Freedom Restoration Act.
SEE ALSO:How Congress is quietly trying to keep millions of women from getting birth controlCatholic and Protestant colleges, charities and advocacy groups invoked the same law in asking the government to find a way that does not involve them or their insurers in birth control provisions.
The challengers included Bishop David Zubik, head of the Catholic Diocese in Pittsburgh; the Little Sisters of the Poor, nuns who run more than two dozen nursing homes for impoverished seniors; evangelical and Catholic colleges in Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Texas and Washington, D.C.; and the anti-abortion advocacy group Priests for Life.
In a statement on Monday, Planned Parenthood president Cecile Richards said:
While today’s decision is welcome news in that most women who need affordable birth control will continue to be able to access it through their insurance no matter who their employer is, women at nonprofit organizations continue to face uncertainty. It is unacceptable that it remains a question whether women could be denied access to birth control with no copay. We hope the lower courts who continue to hear this matter will act to give women at religiously affiliated organizations clear resolution in the future over whether their boss will be able to ultimately deny them coverage.
Contraception is among a range of preventive services that must be provided at no extra charge under the health care law. The administration pointed to research showing the high cost of some methods of contraception discourages women from using them. One effective means of birth control, the intrauterine device, can cost up to $1,000.
Houses of worship and other religious institutions whose primary purpose is to spread the faith are exempt from the birth control requirement.
Other faith-affiliated groups have to tell the government or their insurers if they object, and allow their insurer or third-party administrator to handle matters related to birth control.
Some groups, including Little Sisters of the Poor, contract with church-based insurers, which themselves are exempt from having to provide contraceptives.
A ruling for the groups, the administration argues, would disadvantage tens of thousands of women.
Have something to add to this story? Share it in the comments.
TopicsSupreme Court
U.S. government issues warning on McDonald's recalled wearable devices2026-02-21 13:36
單月定一年成敗?C羅遭逆天賽程 葡萄牙曼聯生死決2026-02-21 13:13
告別?哈蘭德賽後巡視球場致意球迷 兩年承諾到期2026-02-21 13:12
喝多了 ?紅魔名宿:曼聯能進英超前三 還能奪歐冠2026-02-21 13:02
Here's George Takei chilling in zero gravity for the 'Star Trek' anniversary2026-02-21 12:39
恐怖 !曼城7球血洗刷爆紀錄 500球裏程碑信手拈來2026-02-21 12:12
巴薩重組鋒線撬曼市雙雄 托雷斯卡瓦尼表態願踢歐聯2026-02-21 12:01
艾克森9年中超185場122球 國足13戰4球留遺憾2026-02-21 11:55
Give your kitchen sponge a rest on this adorable bed2026-02-21 11:44
曝巴薩國米籌劃球員互換 桑切斯有望重回諾坎普2026-02-21 11:08
Mall builds real2026-02-21 13:34
西甲資訊:維尼修斯獲11月最佳球員 歐戰球隊戰績不俗2026-02-21 13:30
烏拉圭足協官宣46歲新帥入主 球員時代曾來華效力2026-02-21 13:09
歐冠賠率 :曼城領先三屆冠軍 巴黎賈府曼聯壓皇馬2026-02-21 12:32
Give your kitchen sponge a rest on this adorable bed2026-02-21 12:30
大連人主帥:三天一賽體能考驗大 全力準備下場比賽2026-02-21 12:09
拜仁VS斯圖加特首發 :萊萬穆勒領銜 羅卡先發出戰2026-02-21 11:37
拜仁前瞻 :人員短缺難阻連勝步伐 鎖定半程冠軍 ?2026-02-21 11:34
J.K. Rowling makes 'Harry Potter' joke about Olympics event2026-02-21 11:16
津門虎主帥:感謝隊員沒放棄 堅信球隊能頂住壓力2026-02-21 11:03