时间:2026-02-21 19:31:40 来源:网络整理编辑:熱點
An Ohio prosecutor announced on Monday afternoon that there would be no charges against the mother o
An Ohio prosecutor announced on Monday afternoon that there would be no charges against the mother of the boy who fell into the gorilla exhibit at the Cincinnati Zoo Memorial Day weekend, an incident which caused officials to shoot and kill Harambe, a 17-year-old gorilla.
SEE ALSO:Vigil held for gorilla killed at Cincinnati ZooDuring a press conference on Monday, Hamilton County prosecutor Joe Deters said, "By all accounts, this mother did not act in any way where she presented this child to some harm. She had three other kids with her and turned her back. I've received dozens of emails about this case and if anyone doesn't believe a 3-year-old can scamper off very quickly, they've never had kids."
According to the Cincinnati Enquirer, the boy's mother, Michelle Gregg, took her four children to the zoo on May 28: the boy, 3, and his three sisters, ages 7, 4, and 1.
After Deters' announcement, the family also issued a statement, saying:
"The family is very pleased with this decision; it is what we expected. This is one more step in allowing us to put this tragic episode behind us and return to our normal family life. We extend thanks to all of those who have been praying for us and who have supported us through this trying ordeal and praise to God for His mercy and grace."
While mourners honored Harambe with a vigil on Memorial Day, reaction to both the mother and the zoo's decision to shoot and kill Harambe have been harsh. Animal rights activists have used the incident to elevate their message opposing zoos while social media has been active with criticism of the Greggs.
The zoo has defended its actions, saying it was the first such breach in Gorilla World's 38 years of existence. The exhibit will reopen Tuesday with a higher, reinforced barrier.
While reaction to Monday's announcement on social media has been more muted compared to previous days, it was still filled with criticism of the mother, including a petition for Child Protective Services to intervene that has amassed over 60,000 signatures.
Tweet may have been deleted
Tweet may have been deleted
Legal experts previously told the Associated Press that prosecution on child endangerment or similar charges seems unlikely.
Additional reporting by the Associated Press.
Have something to add to this story? Share it in the comments.
MashReads Podcast: What makes a good summer read?2026-02-21 19:26
The Human Screenome Project wants to 'sequence' our smartphone use2026-02-21 19:17
Vivo's new Apex concept phone has zero ports and a 7.5x optical zoom camera2026-02-21 19:13
Watch this very good dog invade a pro soccer match2026-02-21 18:33
WhatsApp announces plans to share user data with Facebook2026-02-21 18:33
I'm obsessed with 'The Circle' and its ridiculous voice assistant2026-02-21 17:59
NHTSA checking out Tesla sudden acceleration complaints2026-02-21 17:49
Watch out for this extremely fake, weirdly racist viral post about coronavirus2026-02-21 17:45
Michael Phelps says goodbye to the pool with Olympic gold2026-02-21 17:23
Watch this very good dog invade a pro soccer match2026-02-21 16:45
One of the most controversial power struggles in media comes to a close2026-02-21 19:03
SXSW canceled amid coronavirus concerns2026-02-21 18:56
Here's the real reason Mark Zuckerberg is so afraid of TikTok2026-02-21 18:39
Huawei's Google Maps alternative is TomTom2026-02-21 18:29
Hiddleswift finally followed each other on Instagram after 3 excruciating days2026-02-21 18:27
The 10 most anticipated movies of 20202026-02-21 18:00
'Bojack Horseman' ends its run delivering what everyone deserves2026-02-21 17:53
That 'Bojack Horseman' Season 6 whiteboard scene, explained2026-02-21 17:41
Sound the alarms: Simone Biles finally met Zac Efron2026-02-21 17:40
Food delivery companies offer option to leave orders at your door because of coronavirus2026-02-21 17:04